One recurring problem with JeeNodes in action around the house is the need for a case.
Some JeeNodes are outside or can be tucked out of sight, so they can be in a not so nice case like the grey ones you get from JeeLabs or Reichelt.
But as I recently built a LowBudget-Version of a RoomNode, and I had it lying around in the living room behind a picture-frame, the problem came up that my daughter finds everything….and it is not quite good for these small devices to be thrown around.
Guess what, finally I was convinced that I need some decent case.
I got to work and cut some length from some scrap wood I had lying around and made four pieces about 120mm in length and 45x45mm and glued them together.
Then I cut that block down to 100x80x80mm. Then I put this block into the drill press and drilled it from the planned bottom side with a forstner-bit four times in the corners and removed the remaining pieces inside. Out came a nice cavity to put the JeeNode inside. Although I just throw it in and there is no means of affixing it.
The bottom is closed by a acrylic plate that is fixed in place by a single screw, as you can see in the picture below. This plate opens up other possibilites (e.g. for giving feedback with a blinking LED for low-battery).
And one important thing to notice is that this massively increases the WAF (Woman’s acceptance factor)!